Thursday, May 04, 2006

"OTTEC" and "Mort" without "smells"

This is copied from my post on:

http://www.lhotka.net/WeBlog/CommentView,guid,e76ff2d8-d8cf-436b-8bf7-bdec2ff06b2a.aspx


Vikas: I agree with you saying that a 2-3 months project is the sweet spot for XP, which was getting popular within lightweight java niche (which is not "entity bean J2EE" though; "entity bean J2EE" typically corresponds to UP). I guess we could say it is "Elvis".

However, I would say that a typical classic VB project is less than 2-3 months. So, we need a concept for project even lighter than XP. I guess we could say it is "Mort".

For "Einstein", that is C/C++, of course.

I’ve just realized that my career is from "Einstein" to "Elvis" and to "Mort". My goodness! Is the next step using VBA-equiv. with a "game engine" which is written offshore?

I do not believe in that future, though. I agree with you, and not agree with Frans, enterprise computing requires flexibility, it cannot be done via “game engine” approach. Another way to look at it, comparing with classic C/C++, the modern Java and .net platforms are themselves a flexible “game engine”.

The key of “Mort” is that it can compete with off-shoring and “game-engine configuring/scripting” (or a combination of both) head-on: to off-shoring, you need detailed spec; however, “Mort” can get the whole thing done during the “spec” timeframe. The same thing happens to “game engine” – you need to “configure” or “scripting” an “engine”; however, “Mort” can finish it earlier than the “configuring” or “scripting”.

However, to do that, while keeping the key spirit of extreme agility, “Mort” must give up those classic VB habits, in TDD terms, “smells”. For example, no logging, mix UI with business logic, no “transaction” concept, or, handle transactions in ad hoc ways, no authorization concept, or, handle authorization in ad hoc ways, and no automated (“pretty-high-level”) unit testing. Without giving up those “smells”, the career of “Mort” will end with VB6. This is indeed the implication of .net, off-shoring simply makes it faster and more sudden and possibly disruptive (let's hope it will not, if we "Morts" do it right). survic http://survic.blogspot.com

P.S. I went to Vikas's site, http://www.vikasnetdev.blogspot.com/ it is amazing that we used the same blog tempalte, and did similar modifications, and share similar ideas! Note that Vikas's blog started more than one year before mine; but I swear :-) I did not see Vikas's blog before I created mine. Great minds work alike :-)

By the way, I will put more code, but, well, a blog is a blog -- in blog, code takes secondary place ;-)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right, TDD is Mort's odor remover!

5/04/2006 08:45:00 PM  
Blogger Vikas said...

I agree with you. I really enjoyed your comments on Rocky's weblog and at same time, found it informative.
Keep it up.

5/05/2006 06:20:00 AM  
Blogger survic said...

thank you, Vikas!

5/06/2006 10:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home