Saturday, August 04, 2007

How to use and participate Open Source

How to use and participate Open Source

For thin frameworks, you must learn to tear them apart; for frameworks that are absolutely necessary, you cannot really tear them apart. However, you can do something close to tearing it part – only use its core, never cut/paste big examples, or, “user extensions”. Gradually, by combining those libraries, you effectively, well tearing them apart.

Yes, I am talking about javascript libraries – they are absolutely necessary, so, you cannot simply tear them apart.


The key is that do not try to cut/paste everything. Once you have a key feature (e.g., a grid in ext), you should stop paying attention to big examples.


---------------------more elaborations
Must: go through all other small tutorial examples, so that you have the ability to search/ask the forum for small pieces of code (not even examples, just a few lines code or even just ideas)

Must NOT: continue looking for/at big examples (you need to do that in the very beginning, to make sure that the whole thing is capable), but you must not try to use it immediately. You must build from scratch at the core-grid level -- prematurely trying to use "user extensions" or "big examples" will actually slow you down.

--------in short: big examples are only for evaluation
--------when development, make sure start from core of the framework!!!

---------------------even more elaboration
I understand the pressure to get something done -- you need cut/past things. However, that kind of pressure will only slow down you, unless what you really need is just some superficial demo (actually, this is a technique to reduce pressure -- offer managers some superficial demos, i.e. download something, make it run, change UI wording by hard-coding the working in UI to make it looks like relevant to what you are doing.

Those demos can be treated as evaluation task. For real development, you need to fine-tune thing, so, you need all details! So, sooner or later, you have to do it. If you do it in the beginning, it is streamlined, much more efficient, and must fewer crises.


By doing the above, even if you "just" use it, you are participating the open source.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have taken a very good lead over me on RIA but I am catching up
:)

http://vikasnetdev.blogspot.com/2007/08/professional-rich-internet-applicatons.html

Vikas

8/12/2007 07:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Book warm! :-)
Thank you for finding the book! I tried very hard to go through ALL books -- I am a bookworm also, without going through ALL books, I always feel I missed something! Still, I missed this one!

This is hard for ajax. There are too much info. Because it is for all, not just M$ (I touched this in my earlier blogs – as a positive thing, but now I feel its negative side. – too much info!

Also, ajax has its javascript tradition – just hacking, no books. This makes things even harder – you have to extend the research outside the books, because a lot of wonderful info is on pages, not books.

Another thing: I made it work, using ext-M$ soap (no need of REST, yet – or, I should say, for now, I used REST as concept, implementation is all M$ soap, very clean).

However, I will be back to spring.net soon. Also, because of spring.net, I have to make some compromises: I have to put aside of this client side ajax thing, until I guess Orcas comes out – this is purely political compromise, technically spring.net certainly does not prevent us from using client side ajax (it actually encourages it – because it encourage clean things).

So, perhaps in my next blogs, I will post more about server-side ajax approach.

Now I know, IT architecture is a political animal.

survic

8/18/2007 09:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home